Recipe for happiness…let go of what’s gone, be grateful for what remains and look forward to what’s coming. – Rev Run
Through teaching English as a second language (#ESL), I've realized that not only is my passion for educating others an entirely different type of reward than my previous professional career in broadcast television for 12-years in the United States, but it is also something that I truly enjoy. I feel extremely blessed in both the former and current students that I teach, especially those that I have built a stronger relationship with that now extends to friendships. As an ongoing professional, I continue to seek out ways to challenge my students, and this is an exercise I've developed—ironically by watching an episode of Inside the Actor's Studio with James Lipton, that I randomly stumbled upon on a local cable channel in Seoul, and as I watched one of the few English shows with the obvious Korean subtitles, the interview was with Hollywood actor Matthew McConoaughey--as an extremely effective ESL exercise that both tests and challenges student's abilities. In my opinion, inspiration and new ideas often come in ways that least surprise you, and with teaching this is certainly no different. As I watched the interview go from a simple question and answer format to this rapid or quick fire set of questioning I was fascinated with exactly HOW effective this simple exercise could be for ESL Learning. I have taken the time to examine this aspect and developed a simple explanation of HOW and WHY this learning exercise is both very EFFICIENT and POWERFUL as a COMPLETE evaluation of an individuals true proficiency and understanding of English as a Second Language.
TEACHING PURPOSE (observe a series of Q&A in a specific set amount of time):
A) How many questions we can get through rapidly?
B) How many interruptions the student creates?
C) Measuring the student’s; body language, intonation, and overall physical reaction to words and questions.
D) How the student does with ‘listening’ to a native English speaker ask these questions with a faster pace of speaking and gauge how the student responds to this pace.
Through attempting to create a relatively stressful situation mixed in with rapid response timing through critical-thinking done in English [thought-processing, listening, and verbal response] all of these will allow for strengthening the student’s communication level, because the student does have the luxury of time to translate my question from:
THE THOUGHT PROCESS OF LEARNING A SECOND LANGUAGE:
Listening and Understand the question in English→Native Language→*time to think of an answer that is formulated in Native Language→verbalize in English
200 UNIQUE ESL RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
2. What color is your tooth brush?
3. If you could be any animal what would it be and why?
4. What is one of the things you would put on your “bucket” list?
5. Who is your favorite super hero and why?
6. Who do you admire the most?
7. What is your favorite summer activity?
8. If a movie was made of your life what genre would it be, who would play you?
9. If you could be any flavor of ice cream what ice cream flavor would you be and why?
10. Who is your favorite cartoon character and why?
11. If you could go any where in the world where would you go and why?
12. What is your dream job?
13. Are you a morning or a night person?
14. What is your favorite hobby?
15. What is one thing that annoys you the most?
16. What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
17. What is your favorite thing about someone in your family?
18. What is one of your weird quirks?
19. Describe your self in 3 words.
20. If you could trade lives with anyone for a day who would it be and why?
21. If you could talk in your sleep what would you say?
22. What is the first thing you do when you get up in the morning?
23. What is your favorite movie quote?
24. What is your favorite joke?
25. What would you do on Mars for fun?
26. If you could get yourself anything, what would you get?
27. Where is the worst place you could get stuck?
28. What would you do with your “15 minutes” of fame?
29. Where would you go if you where invisible?
30. What is your favorite flavor of “Berty Bots every flavored beans”.
31. What is the one thing you own you wish you didn’t?
32. Describe the perfect kiss in 3 words.
33. What is your biggest addiction?
34. Do you have a song that reminds you of a relationship if so what song?
35. How many books have you read so far this year?
36. When I dance, I look like…?
37. Who have you met that you wish you hadn’t?
38. If you were famous what would you be famous for?
39. What is the worst job you could have?
40. What is your favorite T.V. channel?
41. What is the thing your most afraid of?
42. If you could paint anything what would you paint?
43. What celebrity annoys you the most?
44. What is the most interesting thing you have in your purse/wallet?
45. What is the meanest thing you’ve ever said to someone?
46. If you could get a yacht what would you call it?
47. What is your life long dream?
48. If you could talk to the President what would you talk about?
49. Have you ever tried to do something you know you would be really bad at, what was it?
50. On a scale of 1 to 10 how “cool” are you?
51. What is the best advantage to being really tall?
52. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
53. What is the one thing you have always wanted to do?
54. What TV sitcom family would you be a member of?
55. What store do you shop at the most?
56. What new technology will transform the future?
57. What supply in your house is running low?
58. If you could be any nationality what would it be?
59. What is the most delightful word you can think of?
60. What is your least favorite beverage?
61. What is the first thing you notice about the opposite sex?
62. If you were stranded on a tropical island what 2 things would you want with you?
63. What is the first thing you notice about someone when you first meet?
64. If you where running for office what would your campaign slogan be?
65. What was your favorite book growing up?
66. What city in America should not be included on a map, why?
67. What compliment does people give you the most?
68. What word would you add to the dictionary if you could, what would it mean?
69. What product would you refuse to promote?
70. What is your favorite pet’s name?
71. Use one word to describe your computer ability?
72. If your plane was about to crash, who would you want sitting next to you?
73. Which of the presidents was your favorite?
74. How long of a consecutive time have you spent in a car?
75. What is your favorite Halloween costume?
76. How can you tell if some one is a nerd?
77. If you could teach any grade or subject what would it be?
78. What fashion trend do you just not get?
79. If you where a wicked tyrant what country would you rule?
80. What is the lowest grade you have ever been given what class was it for?
81. If you could choose your nickname what would it be?
82. What is your best feature?
83. If you could swim in any liquid what would it be and why?
84. What is the song you hear most often?
85. What have you done that you are most proud of?
86. How many keys do you have on your key ring?
87. What is your favorite song?
88. How old where you when you had the worst hair cut ever what style was it?
89. What advice did you get that was the most rewarding?
90. If you could change one thing about your looks what would it be?
91. What is your least favorite type of music?
92. If you where a super hero what would your powers be?
93. What fortune would you want to get from a fortune cookie?
94. What is one food you wouldn’t want to give up?
95. If you won a million dollars what would you buy?
96. If you had access to a time machine where and when would you go?
97. If you could add a person to Mount Rushmore who would it be, why?
98. If you could win any award what would it be, why?
99. If you could teleport, where would you go, why?
100. What was your favorite cartoon show growing up?
102. How do you like your steak cooked?
103. What was the last film you watched?
104. What’s your favorite place to watch TV?
105. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
106. What did you eat for breakfast?
107. What is your favorite cuisine?
108. What foods do you dislike?
109. What is your dream car?
110. What are your favorite clothes?
111. Where would you visit, if you had the chance?
112. Weapon of choice?
113. Where would you want to retire?
114. Gold or silver?
115. Where were you born?
116. What is your favorite sport to watch?
117. What is the last thing you liked on social media?
119. Hard of soft?
120. Do you have any pets?
121. Are you a morning or a night person?
123. Sub or dom?
124. What is your best childhood memory?
125. Favorite color?
126. Are you single?
127. What do you think of when I say, “fruit?”
128. Do you always wear your seat belt?
129. Have you been in a car accident?
130. Any pet peeves?
131. Work out preferences?
132. Favorite flower?
133. Last band or artist you listened to?
134. How did that particular song make you feel?
135. Bed size?
136. Do anything spontaneous lately?
137. Like your job?
138. Last person you went to dinner with?
139. What are you currently learning?
140. What do you think of people with tattoos?
142. Has your world ever been rocked?
143. Have you ever been in love? 40.
144. What is success?
145. What secret would you like to tell me?
146. How do you define happiness?
148. What is one item you could NEVER live without?
150. Favorite place to hideout?
151. Leader or follower?
152. Last time you were emotional?
153. What makes your smile?
155. What makes you angry?
157. Chocolate or caramel?
158. What impresses you?
159. Where were you two years ago?
160. What makes you feel sad?
161. Where will you be in three-years?
162. Red or Blue?
163. What annoys you?
164. What are you afraid of?
165. What time did you go to bed last night?
166. Who do you kiss last?
168. Fast or slow?
169. What time will you go to bed tonight?
170. Are you a dog or cat person?
171. Cold or hot?
172. What is better: certificates or experience?
173. Mother or father?
174. Wet or dry?
175. Quality of life or quantity of life?
177. If you had to choose a perpetually cold or hot place to live, what would you choose?
178. Tell me how far away you live?
180. What is better: being organized or attention to details?
182. Last time you laughed very hard out loud?
183. Two things you would change about yourself?
184. Your 20s?
185. Naver or Google?
186. When are you most productive?
187. What chore do you hate doing?
188. What motivates you?
189. Kpop or Hip-hop?
190. Last person you touched?
191. Tell me a mistake you made in life?
194. Your greatest achievement?
196. Your greatest failure?
197. Four things you would change about yourself?
198. Who you love the most?
199. Getting old?
200. Favorite memory?
202. iPhone or Samsung?
203. Would you rather work 8-hours standing or 10-hours sitting?
204. Busan or Jeju?
206. What age do you want to retire?
207. What scares you?
209. When was the last time you "took a rest?"
210. What is your last thought before going to bed?
212. Nike or Adidas?
213. What do you think is Korea's biggest threat?
214. Spring or Autumn?
215. New York City?
216. What does your office (or work space) look like?
217. Define racism?
218. Favorite sound?
219. What time did you eat lunch?
220. Black clothes?
221. Last item you purchased?
222. What is illegal?
224. What confuses you?
225. Favorite song?
226. You learn of a last-minute business trip, what do you do first?
227. The last time you cried?
229. Where do you go to think?
231. Samsung or LG?
232. Broken cable?
234. Tool box?
235. Black or Grey?
237. What makes your annoyed?
238. Sunday night?
239. China or Japan?
240. What will you NEVER do?
242. What would you do if you didn't have to work tomorrow?
243. Who upset you last?
245. Without look at a clock, what time is it?
247. Biggest strength?
248. When was the last time you were late for something?
249. Largest strength?
250. What challenges you?